Wednesday, December 31, 2008

My experiments with lies. Part II

It is quite evident that that once you start lying, parents start loosing faith in you. They start to doubt every word he says. But parents want to believe their kids always. I used to take advantage of this fact.

It was a normal day. Me and my friends were playing cards at ulpans room near to college. We used to call it as Ulpan mukku. That shows how much we cared abt Ulpan. Whenever we feel bored of the class we would bunk classes and play cards at Ulpan mukku. It was at the end of the third game, KK came with the idea. We all looked to him. On second thoughts it had been a while since we had gone for a trip together. We knew we wanted a break.

Dicku: Where to?

Moolan: Why dont you guys come to my farm house in palakkad?

Nav: Seems like a good idea.

Me: The exams are coming soon, so I dont think my parents would agree to that.

Ray: That is not a problem for you. You can find an excuse.

KK: Even i have the same problem with my parents, I need to find some excuse too.

So we decided to go for the trip on one Saturday and come back in the coming Monday because the study holidays were going on. Now it was time for me to say another lie.

That day in the evening, mom was cooking the dinner. I went there casually

Me: Mom, It seems Ulpans sisters marriage is fixed.

Mom: Aha, Never knew Ulpan had a sis. What is she doing?

Me: (Even i am not sure about that). Her name is Renjini. She completed here Msc in chemistry.

Mom: Thats great. When is the marriage?

Me: It is this sunday

Mom: So soon?

Me: Its like he knew the fact long before. But he didnt tell us.

Mom: So when are you going

Me: Its in palakkad. So we are planning to leave on saturday early morning. Will roam around there on saturday and attend the marriage on sunday. Hopefully will back by sunday morning

Mom: So who all are going?

Me: Me, KK Dicku,Ulpan,moolan, nav, ray, mammad, reveesh

Mom: Is Ulpan also comin with you??.

Me: (Oops) Nope. I just said his name casually. Coz we are the gang. Anyways since we have to go early morning on saturday we are planning to spend the night at ray's house. It would be good for us since his parents are back in Saudi.

Mom: Ok Fine. Get the permission from your dad.

Me: Can you ask him for me?

Mom: Ok.

One hour later

Dad: So all of you are planning to go for Ulpans sis marriage eh?

Me:Yea, Its on sunday

Dad: I hope you still remember that the model exams are coming up. If you go for trip, you should make it up in your studies in the coming days. I am letting you go because its and important function

Me: I understand

The next friday evening:

Mom came to my room for packing my stuff for the two days trip. She knew that I would pack only in the last 5 mins. She wanted to do things in a more calm way. I was playing a computer game

Mom: So you are leaving today at nine?

Me: yep

Mom: So whats the name of ulpans would be brother in law?

Me: eh? Suresh

Mom: So what does he do?

Me: hmm...He is a software engineer in infosys

Mom: So how does he look like?

(This cant go on, I should put an end to this)

Me: (with a smug smile)Ulpan didnt show me his foto when they fixed his marriage.

Mom: If you talk to me like that, i am not going to ask you aything.

Me: (Better). Dont ask

Mom: Ok Fine. I am leaving

Me:(Thank God)

We reached palakkad by 11 in the morn. Had the break fast. An went to moolans farm house. We had a nice time there till evening till we heard the news that it was a harthal on monday. Hearing about the harthal Mammad sprang into action. He wanted to reach home on sunday so that he can avoid the harthal. Since he was so adamant about reaching home on sunday, we also changed our plans. So we started back on saturday night. We reached Ernakulam by late night. So we decided to sleep over at Rays house.

When I woke up in the morn every one was planning to go to their places. So I also started back home

I reached the gate, when I saw mom sitting on a chair there.

Mom: So you are back early?

I: I actually got things confused. The marriage was on saturday. Since it was harthal the next day we had to cut the trip in palakkad so that we can reach here one day early

(I could see the that my mom was not smiling. It was a rather stern look. But how will my plan fail)

Mom: Anyway Dad is waiting for you in the kitchen

Me: Ok. Fine

I went straight away to the kitchen where are saw Dad was cutting some tomatoes.

Dad: So you are back early?

Me: Yea, because of the harthal.

(He stopped what he was doing and looked straight to me)

Dad: So exactly where did you go?

Me: I went to Palakkad

(The action was swift. The next thing i could remember was he holding me against the wall with one hand on my neck and the other hand holding a knife menacingly. The distance between hte place where he was sitting and me was around 10 mts. I still havent got the faintest idea how he covered the distance so fast )

Dad(voice raised with anger): Where did you go?

Me: I went to palakkad. This is the truth.

(Then I realised going to Palakkad was the only truth in my story)

Dad: Ok, then why did u go there?

Me: (I had no option) : We went for a fun trip.

(He took his hand off my neck)

Dad: The next time you lie to me will be your last one. Get out of my sight

I couldnt understand how did things come out. But I needed to find out. Mom was still keeping her stern face and wouldnt talk to me. I waited the rest of the day in my room. Mom temper had softened a bit. So I approached her cautiously

Me: How did you come to know about our Palakkad trip?

Mom: Moolans uncle told us that you went to enjoy in Palakkad

(Still it dosent make much sense. Why should Moolans uncle come into the picture. Dad has even met him. And he wont call anyone just to ask about my whereabouts)

I went to coll the day after the harthal. I spotted Dicku. I told him whether his parents had found anything about the trip.

Dicku: I have some thing to tell to you.

Me: What?

Dicku: It was my Mom who called to your home.

Me: Why should she do that. You told me that she wont ever call to my house.

Dicku: I can explain what happened.

After he explained what happened at his place, things started to dawn upon me. Till that I only had heard about butterfly theory, but never imagined such a situation can happen in real life.

Now comes a new charecter in my story. Balu

Balu is a guy of my same batch. The problem starts when he also decides to go on a trip to Vagamon on the same day. As an explanation to get out of his house he told his Mom that he was going for a combined study at Dicku's house. That same night Balu got drunk and had to sleep over at his friends house. His Mom got tensed. She called Dicku's Mom

Balus Mom: Do you know why Balu is home yet. He had come there for a combined study

Dicku's Mom: No, I dont know about Balu. But Dicku told me that he will be going for maths combine study at tonys house.

After ending the call, the old headmistress woke inside her(Since she was the head mistress of the sacred heart coll, she knew things were not as it seemed).She tried on his cell. But we were out of range. So she called to my house.

Dicku's Mom: Is Dicku there. I need to talk to him. He told me that he will be there for combined study.

Dad: No, he is not here. Infact Tony went for his friends Sis marriage.

Dicku's Mom: Ok. Then I ll try on his cell phone later. Thanks.

(She hung up the phone. But the damage. Dad had got a scent of things. He called up at Moolans house)

Dad: Do you know where Tony and Moolan is?

Moolan's Uncle: They have gone to enjoy in Palakkad.

(So thats how things turned out ugly. But I still had some unclear points)

Me: So what happened to Balu?

Dicku: After his Mom called my Mom, she again tried on Balus cell. He told her that he came to my house and since I wasnt there he went Anurag's house. So he didnt have much problems.

Me: And what happened with you?

Dicku: Do you remember me getting a call in the morning we were in Palakkad. It was my Mom. She told me that you had gone for some marriage and asked about my whereabouts. I told her that since you were not in your house, I went to KK's house for combined study. And she took that. Moreover she didnt have KK's telephone number

(I should have thought of this situation might happen. But it was a far guess. No one could see that coming.)I took a walk to the college ground and sat on one of the benches. Some seniors were playing football.

I heard one of them shouting to the other one

“Pottane chetti chathichal, chettiye daivam chathikkum”

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well written...really takes me bak to my college days...There was nothing like this..missed!! he he...
One doubt,wots butterfly theory?? ;))
anyways good work...keep posting... :)

Abhinav Viswambharan said...

Bu hu ha ha ha ha...

I can visualize the scene wherein your Dad clutched your neck...

Dude, you have reminded me of my experiments with lies. Probably I may also pen down some of them in the coming months...

Anyways, being your roomie I can vouch that there is lot more to come from you in this series... : D

Sheethu said...

hahaha..angane thanne venom... ur dad actually caught ur neck with knife in the other hand ???? sounds scary...if he actually did that , next time i meet uncle , i m gonna congratulate him !!! NANNAYI KOODE ???